5 Ways to Make the Most out of Your Work Commute
Hey guys, I hope your March is off to a great start! I still can't believe it's March - like What The? With time never being on our side, I'm always looking for the best way to maximize every minute. If any of you are like me you spend a decent amount of time traveling to and from work each day, which can be stressful and draining. I remember at one point I used almost every mode of transportation to get to work (I drove to the train station, had a 40 min train ride, and then walked to my office building)...soooo not fun. Now I'm thankful that I drive straight to work and hit minimal traffic, so my commute is about 30-35 mins. Over the years I've picked up some ways to make my commute more enjoyable and something to look forward to. Here's a few tips below!
1. Listen to podcasts - I just started listening to podcasts a year ago, and they have changed my life! lol. But seriously not even being dramatic, I've learned so much about self-love, growth, and healing just from listening to some of my favorite podcasts. I figure what better way to jumpstart my day than with positive messages about self-development? Similar to reading you can find podcasts that discuss a wide-range of topics. On the Iphone podcast app you can search keywords to find shows that interest you. Let me just say, I get in the car so excited to hear new podcast episodes! My car ride seems to go by so much faster when listening. Audio books are also a great option in addition to this. Here are two of my favorite podcasts below:
2. Read on train/bus - When I used to take the Metro to work I used my commute time to catch up on my fav books. I would get so lost in the pages that my train ride seemed pretty quick! I wasn't as worried about how many more stops I had; I could just sit back and relax before my day at work. I would suggest not only reading something entertaining, but something related to personal and professional development. This is a good time to read some of your favorite blogs too (if you have a good wifi connection lol).
3. Listen to spa music and clear your mind - In my previous post My Self Care Routine - Tips to Be the Very Best You , I share that I listen to spa/meditation music to help me relax. I started listening to this type of music during my morning commute into work, and I noticed that it helps me be more clear minded throughout the day. This is the time I get some of my most creative thoughts. Who knew? lol. I strongly recommend this for any one who wants to feel relaxed each morning before work. They play this type of music at a spa for a reason!
4. Talk to a family member or friend - Does anyone else feel like there's not enough time in the day to keep up with family and friends? Utilizing your commute time to catch up with loved ones is a great way to help with this problem. Whether driving, walking to the train station, or waiting for the bus, a quick 5-10 min call can make you feel more connected with the ones you love. Also, the good thing is that almost everyone is commuting around the same time, so you're more likely to reach people once they're out of the office.
5. Work on your to-do list/weekly action items - During your commute this is a perfect time to take a look at your to-do list and cross off any completed items, add additional items, and make a note of urgent tasks. For my personal to-do list I use the Iphone "reminders" list tool. I also use my work planner for my work action items. During a bus or train ride this is a good time to make sure everything is up to date! If you're driving you can use this time to reflect on any upcoming to-do items to add to your list later.
A final bonus tip is to listen to that new CD you want to hear but haven't downloaded/purchased yet. We only get so many hours in a day; let's make time to squeeze in the things that we enjoy! Do you have anything to add to this list? I'd love to hear below.